The Art of Intervention: Diplomacy and Deployment after Iraq
November 14, 2014
1 hour 38 minutes
Mandel Hall, University of Chicago
Dominique de Villepin is the former Minister of Foreign Affairs and former Prime Minister of France. In 2003, Mr. de Villepin gave a historic speech at the United Nations Security Council, voicing France's opposition to the United States' military intervention in Iraq. Mr. de Villepin has remained a prominent voice on foreign intervention and its alternatives. Drawing from his exceptional knowlege and experience, Mr. de Villepin presents an in-depth analysis of international crises facing the world today. A moderated question and answer discussion with the audience will follow the talk.
Outline of the Program
About Dominique de Villepin
Dominique de Villepin is a French diplomat, a politician, and a writer who served as the interior minister and prime minister in the neo-Gaullist administration of President Jacques Chirac. While a French foreign minister, he led the opposition to the war in Iraq. In 2014, he advocated the Palestinian cause of Israel-Gaza conflict. Today, while counseling the Qatar Investment Authority, he is also the president of the advisory board of the Sino-Russo-American bond credit rating agency, Universal Credit Rating Group, as well as an international advisor of China Minsheng.
1. What do you think about Villepin’s comment on the western interventions being more dangerous rather than helpful?
2. Which states and parties were key factors in causing the situation that exists today in Iraq and Syria?
3. How has international law been broken? How has it affected non-western countries and their aspect on responsibility?
4. How and why has democracy become a problem in today’s society? How is it constantly contributing to crisis around the world?
5. What are some options Villepin proposes democratic countries could use as a better way of intervening? How would democratic diplomacy ameliorate the western intervention?
6. Why is regional dialogue and cooperation so important in improving diplomatic democracy? How does it directly affect Russia, Ukraine, Iran, and Asia?
7. What are some examples of a new global governance?
Online Resources for More Information
Dominique de Villepin on Israel-Gaza Conflict (Le Figaro-french)
This article published in 2014 reports Dominique de Villepin’s inquiries about the silence of France as it pertains to the rise of violence between Israelites and Palestinians. He is calling for voices to be heard and address this issue.
This article is meant to show the life and the political career of Dominique de Villepin
The surprising Dominique de Villepin (The Economist)
This article reports the political career of Dominique de Villepin as a minister and the decisions he took while in office.
Interview with Dominique de Villepin (Financial Times)
This article provides an interview with Dominique de Villepin, where he gives his views on the European Union, the current crisis in Europe, and the role of France in European politics.
This program made possible with the support of
National Assembly Representative Frédéric Lefebvre (Réserve parlementaire)
New York, NY
209 East 23rd St., NY 10010, 3rd floor