Under the supervision of the Director of the Communications, the Communications Officer’s duties entail email marketing operations, including writing and editing copy in collaboration with program officers, and managing an email database.
The Communications Officer also manages internal calendars and contributes to the production of public-facing print documents, such as brochures and promotional flyers.
A full breakdown follows.
- Encourage and facilitate consistent, creative, and unified web content across the organization’s web properties.
- Liaise with internal staff to coordinate the production of new website articles and review them for cohesion with brand guidelines, photo quality, and English grammar and syntax.
- Copyedit all web articles created by staff.
- Collect and analyze web analytics and similar data; identify opportunities to improve search engine optimization (SEO), time on site, web traffic, and other relevant metrics.
- Assist employees with use of company websites through one-on-one support, user guides, and training sessions.
- In collaboration with the Director of Communications, design and implement direct email marketing campaigns. This includes (but is not limited to) developing copy and subject lines, editing email templates and headers in InDesign, building email lists, liaising with internal staff, and owning a comprehensive calendar.
- Report on email marketing campaigns and results; use results to determine ROI, make suggestions for improvements, and establish best practices.
- Ensure prompt, accurate, and error-free communication with our community to build loyal relationships and minimize unsubscribes.
- Maintain an organization-wide email database and ensure syncing with the organization’s CRM tool.
- Upgrade email sends through sourced graphics, customization, calls-to-action, and additional advanced features.
- Ensure emails follow industry standards and privacy policies.
- Maintain an internal communications calendar.
- Copyedit and contribute to the creation of various internal and public-facing communication documents such as brochures, flyers, presentations, calendars, and more, as needed.
- Adapt designed templates of communication documents as needed.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s in marketing or related discipline
- 3+ years of digital marketing, marketing analytics, or email marketing experience, preferably in a related industry
- Strong communication skills – written and oral
- Impeccable grammar and writing skills
- Ability to track, measure, and report on results of email marketing and web campaigns to determine ROI
- Sufficient experience in marketing automation and content management systems
- Excellent analytical skills and ability to provide actionable insights from data
- HTML, WordPress knowledge preferred
- Skilled in problem solving and project management
- Knowledge of website management, analytics, design, and SEO best practices and standards.
- English (reading, speaking, writing): Native speaker
- French (reading, speaking, writing): Advanced or Bilingual
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Creative Suite, MailChimp, and WordPress preferred
- Creative and innovative
- Excellent team player; personable
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment with shifting priorities
- Responsible and conscientious with great judgment and discretion
- Keen interest in French arts, culture, language, and education landscape
Additional Information and Benefits
- Location: Institut Français des Etats-Unis – Villa Albertine, 972, 5th Avenue, New York NY 10075
- Department structure: The Communications Department is composed of four members: Head of Department; Press Officer;
- Social Media Producer; and Communications Officer.
- Hours: 40 hours/week –– working on evenings and weekends will occasionally be required, in accordance with the department’s needs
- No remote work
- Salary : $62,544 USD ($5,212 /month), plus a monthly transportation stipend ($120)
- 401 (k), opportunity of joining the embassy’s medical insurance
- 25 days of vacation annually + overtime compensation
Candidates must have American citizenship, a Green Card, or a work permit (pending a Green Card). Only applicants meeting these conditions will be considered.
To apply, please send the following documents (in English): a cover letter, CV, and 3-5 links to websites, newsletters, or designed communications materials you’ve created or contributed to creating (with information on engagement and any quantitative measures of success and details on your role in the project) in a single PDF document to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Communications Officer Application” in the subject line.
Deadline for application: Monday, October 2nd, 2023.